Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Wooden Labyrinth Puzzle

Name of Model: Move through the labyrinth using the handles
Created by: AndersPaludan
Found at: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=332524
Details:
It really is made out of LEGO parts, I swear. This is simply a perfect sculpture - the colors match the original woodtone, the studs-not-on-top work that makes all the details of the puzzle work is brilliant, and the way that it actually works like the real thing is pretty clever. I'm pretty sure it's an original mechanism used inside, and not just a straight LEGO reproduction of the original motion technique. At first glance, the surface of the puzzle looks like it's just a flat wall, but you really need to look more closely - there are arches going in multiple directions to make holes, carefully aligned edges and paths, and far more cleverly-placed 1x1 Technic bricks than I've ever seen in one place before. Of course, I don't know if you'd really want to play this instead of the original wooden game - I'd be a bit worried about scratching up pieces. I know I've featured models with no studs showing before, but....wow.
I know this is a second day in a row of real posts, but I am still considering this blog to be on hiatus. It looks like it will be returning at the regular pace around August 10th-15th. In the meantime, I'll continue posting occasionally, but I can't promise daily posts.

No comments: