Wednesday, June 8, 2011

8-wide Maersk Locomotive

Name of Model: Maersk locomotive
Created by: Mad physicist
Found at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/madphysicist/tags/sd402/
Details: Here's a new take on the Maersk set released recently - a wider version in a different color. Unless you see them side-by-side, it can often be difficult to tell the difference between Maersk blue and medium blue - which can be used to your advantage if you want to use a wider variety of parts to get the exact look you want. In this case, the issue was size. The builder is very passionate about scale. "Minifig scale" is an inherently nebulous concept, and LEGO's habit of throwing minifigs into things at wildly different sizes makes it even murkier. Having decided that 8 studs wide is appropriate for a train, the next challenge was to work out the details (such as the brick-built lettering on the sides). Many of them are essentially unchanged from the design in the set, but elsewhere - such as on the windows - things look much better.
My apologies about the gap in lately - it's been a rough few weeks for me personally (a death in the family) and I haven't been able to make blogging a priority. We're trying to get back up to speed now. I won't be making up the missing posts.

2 comments:

mezba said...

Sorry to hear about the death in your family - my condolences. I am a long time reader, and first time (I think) commentator.

You shouldn't have to apologize for not blogging - it's your blog, blog when you wish!

Mezba
http://readwithmeaning.wordpress.com

Dan said...

Normally I'd agree - apologies for not blogging get obnoxious quickly - but I think I've set up expectations a bit by putting "of the Day" in the title.