Monday, August 23, 2010

Robotics Monday: Climbing Like A Sloth

Name of Model: X4Sloth / Quaddra ped
Created by: 222Doc (Brickshelf)
Found at: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=442241
Details: 222Doc claims to have created the first NXT-based biped that can climb stairs. I'll have to take him at his word for that (I'm not aware of any video to prove that, and he hasn't posted programs either). His new creation, though, is even more impressive - a quadruped robot with three-toed limbs that can climb like a sloth. That's the theory, anyway - the machinery has been tested to verify that it can handle the load of lifting it's own weight on ladders in any direction, but the programming's not done yet. This isn't quite purist - you can see some multiplexers and unofficial cable used so that the one NXT can control all of the motors (looks like 8 NXT motors and 4 Power Functions motors to me). Still - this is proof of concept for a type of four-legged walker we've never seen before. I can't wait to see one of these things crawling overhead at a LEGO or robotics event.

EDIT: This is what I get for rushing posts - it turns out that there is, in fact, a video of the X2 walking up stairs, and you can see other videos from the same builder on YouTube as well. More details about the X4 sloth 'bot can be found on the nxtasy forums.

2 comments:

222Doc said...

Hello Thank you for the Kind words. I have a Video log of most all my projects. see( YouTube @ 222DOC) I am also a contributor at nxtasy.org I have about 5? videos of X2 climbing up 1.7-5 inch steps. Doing a head stand and splits. I hope to have this X4 program finished soon its been more complex than i though it would be.

Dan said...

Thanks for letting me know - I've updated the post to link to your YouTube videos and to the post on nxtasy about this robot.