Monday, January 28, 2008

News: 50 Years of the LEGO Brick

Today marks the 50th anniversary of the LEGO brick. LEGO has a press release about the history of the brick up in celebration. Google has a special logo it honor of it (screenshot). I haven't heard anything about them releasing any sort of anniversary bucket (Usually LEGO releases special anniversary buckets at unusually low prices to commemorate events), but there is an updated version of the 1958 Town Plan set (and the updated version does have special gold bricks). LegOficina dos Baixinhos pulled up the original Danish patent, where you can clearly see that the Godtfred Kirk Christiansen applies for a patent for LEGO bricks on January 28th, 1958.

1 comment:

Steven said...

I emailed you earlier today about that, checked earlier on your blog to see if you covered it. I just covered about that on my blog. I just got the 50 ann. town set too over the weekend, and I cant wait to build it.

Steven A.